Armada Real Estate - Find Your Perfect Home For Sale!
Armada - Town vs. County Stats
Avg Price in Armada: $356,000 / County Avg $245,100
Avg Taxes in Armada: $3,300 / County Avg $2,700
Avg Sq. Ft. in Armada: 2,160 / County Avg 1,818
Avg Price per/ft2 in Armada: $165 / County Avg $135
Avg Walkscore in Armada: 28 / County Avg 33
Avg Year Built in Armada: 1945 / County Avg 1977
Avg Days on Website in Armada: 85 / County Avg 69
Armada Real Estate Market Health
The village, originally known as Burke's Corners, was founded by Elijah Burke in 1833. The village began to prosper when the old Indian trail, known today as Armada Ridge Road, was laid out as a roadway in the early 1830s. The road soon became part of the immigrant road network between Romeo and Port Huron.
Burke's Corners was briefly renamed Honeoye, for the New York hometown of several newly arrived residents. The village received its modern name of Armada when it was incorporated in the late 1860s. Armada by then had grown into a thriving village of 800 inhabitants.
The town at one time included a stagecoach stop, an opera house, a theater, seven grocery stores, three hotels, three hardware stores, a lumberyard, a grain mill, two implement dealers, a bakery, five doctors, several blacksmiths shops and a drug store.
The first school in Armada was a one-room schoolhouse at Selleck's Corners. Soon schools sprang up all around the township. These one room schools were consolidated during the 1940s and children were bused into town to attend the consolidated school district.
Armada's interest in education, literature and the arts was most evident when they persuaded Andrew Carnegie that they would support a library, if he would donate $8,000 towards the building of a permanent township library. The Armada Free Public Library was built in 1915 and is still being used to provide library service today.
A number of fraternal organizations, a literary club, a science club, and the Armada Cornet Band were among the social outlets for villagers and township residents.
A railroad, the Michigan Air-Line Railroad, connected Armada with the rest of the world. Passengers and freight were processed through the two-door depot at the foot of Church Street. A cartage company delivered the freight to uptown businesses by horse and wagon.